Alderlea is a lively Italianate villa built within a terraced landscape overlooking Gage Park in Brampton. From 1867, it served generations as a landmark residence, but was sold in the 1950’s to the local Legion.
Despite its descent into disrepair, it maintained its significance as a gateway to the civic park system. Because of its proximity to the new City Hall and arts centres, it was redeveloped into a centerpiece of the downtown core.
THA conserved and adapted the property to capture the spirit of the original through the integration of landscape and architecture. A new 13,400 sq. ft. civic conference centre was created using restoration in combination with contemporary form, technology and space. The character and significance of the villa has been enhanced through the careful design of new elements, tuned to the massing and detail of the original.
The building exterior and the interior decorative detail and spatial qualities of the historic interior have been conserved or restored. The LEED silver design includes geothermal heating and cooling, low energy controls and devices, triple glazing, deep overhangs to control sunlight, and permeable paving. In addition, there is no reliance on fossil fuels, and all of the storm water is managed on site.
The impressive building and property continues to inspire Brampton residents. The community’s desire to adaptively reuse the Alderlea Heritage Estate acknowledges the importance of heritage issues and reinvesting in buildings of significance.