Designed by Cumberland and Storm, and completed in 1859, University College was the first constituent college of what is now the University of Toronto. It was designated a national Historic Site of Canada in 1968 for reasons of it being an exceptional intact example of mid-19th century gothic revival architecture, but also for its seminal role in the development of contemporary university planning and non-sectarian education.
THA were retained to prepare an Integrated Strategic Planning Analysis for the University College Campus. The intent of the study was to identify conservation and programmatic approaches for the renewal and revitalization of the historic campus. The Report presents itself as a framework for understanding the building asset beginning with its philosophic origins, as well as its programmatic, social, and cultural roots and evolution as campus centre. The Report goes on to evaluate the building, landscape and infrastructure drawing attention to its quality, but also to its current limitations and deficiencies whose cumulative effect now undermine the ability of the institution to represent itself as an fully engaged and vital member of the greater campus.
The Report presents the conservation and renewal of University College as a series of interventions. These include major capital projects such as the library, a conference centre, lecture rooms and classrooms, circulation plan and a universal access strategy. These projects are represented in a series of renderings.
The report represents a new vision for University College in their fund raising programme Boundless: The Campaign for the University of Toronto.